Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Addiction vs Self-Medicating

This topic is sensitive for me. I have ADHD. I have it bad too. I have struggled with it my whole life. It has effected my whole world from my education, to friends, and a plethora of life choices.

Over the years, I have done a LOT of self-medicating. Caffeine, diet pills, marijuana, just to name a few.

Managing my ADHD has been a bumpy road and I feel I still never have a handle on it... for years it went undiagnosed.  Once I was, Adderall did help.... I am a advocate for medical marijuana because it does help take the "edge" off without all those icky side effects like not having an appettite or not being able to sleep.

Working with the Devil card and Addictions, I always wondered to myself, "Do I really have this or is it all in my head?"

Definition of Self-Medication

Definition of Addiction

Now let me add here, that I am a spiritual person and have always thought that deep down, we all are made perfect... wrong thinking, wrong action, and  wrong belief are the source of all our imbalances and suffering.

This of course totally contradicted my issue with ADHD. I have to remember, that my life is not in my head nor up in the clouds... it is also here on earth. It is my biology... it came with me when I received this body.

It is a part of me but not part of my soul. My soul is perfect, my body... errrrr not so much.

And although I have tried A LOT of different methods of self-medicating whether it was alchohol, pot, or even food, I do NOT have an addiction problem.

WHEW. That felt really good to nail down.

For years, I beat myself up wanting to know WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME!!!!

Why did it seem SO HARD to live... why was everything a struggle. If anyone who reads this is ADHD, you would understand.





God has a plan for all of us. In my quest to "fix" myself, I studied psychology, biology, medicines, holistic healing, religion, and a whole bunch of avenues in order to help myself when no one else would.

But in the end, I understand A LOT more about people and how to help others. Whether it is medicine, cognitive behavior therapy, addiction, lack of God in your life, or maybe all of these combined, I understand.

When someone goes to the doctor now a days, they slap them with Welbutrin and send em packing with a have a nice day.

Depression, in most cases is an effect from something else. Period. Treating the depression alone helps no one.

One of my previous posts talked about the benefits of spiritual fasting and what I have personnally learned from it when it comes to addiction... if I have EVER been addicted to anything, I would say it was food. Food was my socially acceptable, legal drug.

Health is a combination of balance, self-control, and the Grace of God. I may have received a body with ADHD this go around... but God doesnt make mistakes... there is perfection in the imperfect. The road I walked although full of pain and struggles, has forced me to search and learn in the fields I was interested to help become the person I am today.

I have always been good with people. I am a natural communicator. I can get anyone to talk... about anything. I wanted to be a counseler as a child. I wanted to help people. My ADHD destroyed my chance of an education. I then, worked as a floral designer at a flower shop.

Flowers=emotion. I sold emotions. Birthdays, holidays, life, death, I'm sorry's and everything in between. Whether it was taking an order for a casket spray from a woman who just lost her daughter or watching a young man pick up his prom corsage I was there for it all and everyone.

I was a mini therapist and I got to play with flowers. How awesome is that?

God then led me to Tarot. My study in Tarot was relentless and intense and is never ending. Along with that, I studied psychological studies as well as healing therapies of all kinds.

My quest to fix myself had given me the tools to helps others in ways that I never thought possible.

Thank you God.

Reading Material:

 Marijuana

ADHD and Addiction

Learning Techniques

http://mypurplestuff.com/

Energy and ADHD

No comments:

Post a Comment